March 14, 2010

Saving Money and Couponing - A Background Story


I won't pretend to be truly frugal. I like to save money so I can spend it on things I really love and have money for a rainy day. Saving money has been a big part of my life more than couponing. Even when money is good, I like to set a detailed budget and I don't like to have any credit card debt.  I always try to pay off our credit cards.

Here's a funny story. When my husband and I first started dating, he somehow caught a glimpse of one of my ATM receipts. He almost fell over. He said he had to do a double take. I told him I always save a set amount of money every month - no excuses.

Once, the kids came, I slowly stopped paying attention to the details. Hey, I was busy being a new mom to one and then a mom to twins. We were still great about paying off our credit cards. I just wasn't saving money as much. I stopped doing the "budget."  We managed fine for a few years.

Then I started to see our banking accounts starting to go low. Seeing a low balance made me feel like we were living paycheck to paycheck. I hated that feeling. But, how could that be?!? Because I stopped paying attention and I stopped doing my "save a set amount of money every month - no excuses" routine. I finally took control back around the spring of 2009! I was back on the "budget" routine.

The spring of 2009 is also when my journey to couponing began. I never realized how much money I could save. Seriously. I can't believe I never did it before. I was always good at just saving our income. Now, I feel like the money I save on groceries, household items, etc. is how I contribute financially to my family.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment