February 18, 2010

Going Bananas: Yes, this is a savings & coupon related post!


I was in search of 30 ripe bananas two days ago. It was not an easy task at first. I needed to buy bananas for my kids’ preschool snack. I first went to Giant. Not much luck. Most were green. I walked out of there with only 8 nice yellow bananas…22 more to go. Now, I don’t normally pay attention to produce prices. This is an area I need improvement to find deals. Plus, I would like to eventually buy more produce from the local farmer’s market. Giant’s price for Bananas – 0.49/lb. I decided to check out Walmart next. The selection was worse there. All green, but found out price was a bit lower – 0.47/lb. I finally went to Wegmans with my twins. They must have been my good luck charm because not only did Wegmans have loads of nice yellow bananas but they were much cheaper – 0.39/lb!!!

Let’s summarize - Giant 0.49/lb…Walmart 0.47/lb…Wegmans 0.39/lb!!! Wegmans Wins! Funny how I discovered this price difference – not because I was looking for it but because I needed 30 bananas.

The preschool ended up having leftover bananas. I took them home. I'll make use of them by making Mini Banana Oat Muffins. Here are some ingredients where I have saved money.

- Old Fashioned Oats – Got it FREE using $1/1 coupon found here or here. Click HERE to read post on how I got this deal.
- Brown Sugar – Paid only $0.89 for a 2lb bag using a $0.40 off Any One (1) Domino Product 2lbs or larger coupon. Click here to read post on how I got this deal.


*Please NOTE: These are prices and coupon policies from State College, PA. Other Giant PA, Wegmans, and Walmart price and coupon policies may vary.

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment: